Saturday, March 14, 2009

K'Naan Troubadour Review




One of the best cds ive heard in a while. K'naan delivers on every track and this is an album not only worth buying but worth listening to over and over again. His single ABC's is def a hot one along with T.I.A that put alot of these actors in check. Go ahead K'naan take em on a field trip.Imma talk about some of my favorite tracks lol just cus u know it wuldnt be me if i didnt.


Wavin Flag - Im not lying when i say that this song brings me really close to tears

"Try to control us, they couldn't hold us, Cause we just move forward like Buffalo Soldiers."

America ft Mos Def & Chali 2na - I love this song and Mos Defs verse was on point despite others reviews. And Chali kilt it ! so did K'naan of course but i have to point out Mos Verse cus it was just oh so sexy

"My country tis of thee sweet land for robberies .dough, smoking suvs ...
grammy and army greens..fat and frills drills and spills... eat n sleep.... hump and kill.. shop till ya drop.. work till ur dead get all you can then. get in the wind outta my face on your knees sleep in the mansion shout out to streets make dat cake ...whip that trick ...LICK MY SWAGGER SUCK MY SICK ...Get high get low get sticky get rich ...get your own show get down get quick..u slow u blow u broke get fixed terror dome home slash home terror dome HOME/HOME"


Fatima - listen to it beautiful song and can be sad but K'naan makes it a point that the song is more of a celebration then a mourning.

"Picture the morning taste and devour
We rise early pace up the hour
Streets is bustling hustling their heart out
You can't have the sweet with no sour "


Take a Minute - A man who knows a thing knows he knows nothing at all.

"This is K'NAAN, and still reppin' the S
Comin' out of Mogadishu and still draped in the mess,
And no matter how we strong, homie,
It ain't easy comin out of where we from, homie.
And that's the reason why, I could never play for me,
Tell 'em the truth, is what my dead homies told me,
Oh yeah, I take inspiration from the most heinous of situations,
Creating medication out my own tribulations.
Dear Africa, you helped me write this, by showing me to give is priceless. "


People like me -

"I guess I told you about myself to a degree
just by telling you about people like me
but people like me they speak politely
they don't start no beef or a piece of white meat
Everybody gotta eat but everybody doesn't
which is why i want to tell you about my favourite cousin
he and I grew up where the sun shines
and we both partook in the gun crimes
and we both liked american rap rhymes
even though we didn't understand one line
if you remember my lineer notes of my last album
I talked about a close call with a grenade
I think we both must have been about 7th grade
but dont panic we both survived without damage
but we developed a bond like we survived the titanic
but when the country became frantic
my mother tried to get us out, planned it
to the last detail except the plan got derailed
cus there wasn't enough money for the plain tickets
how bitter when my mother had to chose who to take with her
so my cousin got left in the war and thats just hard to recall
but now i take refuge and prayer,
kinda like finding god in the phonebook
it came to me sounding kinda like something from a song hook ."

Heaven, is there a chance that you could come down
and open doors to hurtin people like me
People like me





Just an amazing album take a listen.

1 comment:

  1. I’m not a rap fan. I’m not a hip hop fan. I’m barely a reggae fan. Whatever you want to label K’naan I’m probably not keen of, but I was intrigued with the chatter surrounding Troubadour. Wrapped up in my world of rock and metal, I saw “If Raps Gets Jealous” features Kirk Hammett (Metallica) on guitar. Perhaps I’ll see what this K’naan character has to offer, I convinced myself.

    What I like most about K’naan is that he’s not a hardcore rapper – he’s a musician. He’s not a cliché. Hailing from Somalia, he’s influenced by the traditions and experiences of his homeland. He speaks of the violence and dreadful conditions in Somalia, and today anyone who watches or reads news is likely aware. It’s not a political thing – it’s just an articulation. What I’m on the fence about is the repetitiveness of the music. At times I want to forward through because it’s the same beat or rhyme over and over (“T.I.A.” is the best example). But more often than not I’m grabbed by the melodies and spoken word.

    Troubadour is a good mix of styles and sounds and there’s honestly something for everyone to enjoy. Typical rapping and hip hop aside, “I Come Prepared” features Damian Marley, “Bang Bang” features Adam Levine (Maroon 5), “If Rap Gets Jealous” features Kirk Hammett (Metallica), and “Wavin’ Flag” is a great reggae anthem (sounds like an ending credits song for a heartfelt movie) which urges me to dust off some Bob Marley albums... and just in time for summer.

    ReplyDelete