Thursday, January 7, 2010

Mr.Hudson covered the Cover from Animal Farm BY George Orwell
























Why did you choose this book?

Orwell is one of my favourites. Also I was in a school production of Animal Farm.

Talk us through your cover...
I want to do something punchy, cartoon but sinister. Really inspired by the shutter paintings of London Frontline.

Who else's My Penguin would you love to see?
Beck should be interesting.

Why did you want to be a part of My Penguin?
It's an honour, I've always loved picking up old editions in charity shops and on the south bank.

What are your top 5 favourite books of all time?
The Rainbow - D. H. Lawrence, 1984 Orwell, Shakespeare, The Rape Of The Lock - Pope, The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Why was your choice of book the best My Penguin to cover?
Mainly because I love Orwell. He lived on my street.

Do you think your having taken part in My Penguin will encourage your fans to cover their own favourite book?
I hope so.

A book cover is very different from your usual work, how did you find the contrast?
It was a real novelty as I don't usually work with visuals. Though I really enjoyed commissioning our album sleeve and working closely with the portrait painter, Clara Drummond.

An album cover often sets the mood for the album, how do you think your cover sets the mood for this book?
It should remind the reader that behind the farmyard fun there are very dark historical events being satirised. Orwell was unafraid to be doomy and gloomy.

Can you judge a book by its cover?
Always.

How do you hope your cover will inspire others?
Just to read the thing and then another one and another one.

Did you get it right the first time or did you have to give it a couple of tries?
Well I can't really paint or draw so yes quite a few attempts.

What music did you listen to whilst covering your my Penguin?
Gangsta Rap - quite fitting.

What are you reading at the moment?
Brideshead Revisited

Which other writers do you most admire?
Swift, Donne, Kureishi.

Which Classic have you always meant to read but never got round to it?
The Bible

Which fictional character would you most like to meet?
Helen Of Troy

Which literary character do you most identify with?
Aslan



I think this was a great interview! Thats crazy about George Orwell living on his street.

No comments:

Post a Comment